Reiulf Ramstad Architects are happy to announce that we have been selected from 125 entries for the international design competition to revitalize the Ross Pavilion on a prominent site beneath Edinburgh Castle. Working with GROSS.MAX. landscape architects, AECOM engineering and planning, Charcoalblue theatre designers and Groves Raines Architects as heritage consultants, we will propose a new £25 million visitor center and performance venue in the heart of the UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The new pavilion will replace the existing 1935 Ross Bandstand and will form the new centerpiece of the city’s Hogmanay celebrations and the Edinburgh International Festivals closing fireworks concert. The design proposal will also consist of improvements to the surrounding park in West Princes Street Gardens. The 12ha West Princes Street Gardens was created in the early 19th century by the draining of the historic Nor Loch during the construction of Edinburgh New Town. The sunken city-centre park is situated beneath Edinburgh Castle, Princes Street and the Scottish National Gallery, and is home to many landmark features including the churches of St John’s and St Cuthbert’s.
The competition will be delivered early June of this year, with construction of the project planned to start on site in 2018.